We are calling for fairness. How well do they listen?
Three recent events provide a disappointing answer:
- The government has reappointed WSIB CEO & President I. David Marshall for 2 more years - ONIWG letter (Jan. 16, 2015) asks why? And his bonus?
- The WSIB Board of Directors has approved revised benefits policies (effective Nov. 1, 2014) without consulting on the changes to the last draft. Stay tuned...
- Premier Wynne's letter of mandate (Sep. 25, 2014) to the Minister of Labour asks him to consider eliminating the 72-month lock-in of loss of earnings benefits. Injured workers are very disturbed the Premier does not understand the harm this will cause.
ONIWG calls on Premier Wynne to restore fairness [read their July 22, 2014 letter]
" No workers' compensation policies have ever been such an explicit attack on the rights of injured workers..." Lawyers send a strong message to the Premier - [read their March 14, 2014 letter]
OFL's Nov. 2014 report "Rewarding offenders" (by Joel Schwartz, IAVGO) is a revealing look at experience rating and employer rebates - the impact on claims suppression and claims management
Check recommendations made in the Stdg Cttee on Govt Agencies report on the WSIB (Nov. 2013) - including reconsideration of appeals changes, funding of injured worker stakeholder groups, followup on Arthurs' report.. [read here]
New video from Operation Maple on Ontario's injured workers' struggles
injuredworkersonline.org is a collaborative effort of injured workers, trade unionists, community activists and advocates, and doctors. We seek better treatment for injured workers by their employers, government and workers' compensation system.
- Learn more about the key issues and what's happening at Queen's Park to review and reform workers' compensation law. Fact sheets give you the straight goods.
- Find local support groups and join the Ontario Network of Injured Workers' Groups (ONIWG) to help make a difference.
- Ontario's injured worker movement has a long and proud history. Read about it in the Injured Workers' History Project bulletins!
- Check on current worker-centred research projects and training.
- Understand your legal rights and access community legal information (CLEO updates)
- Share your story & experience with the WSIB with your local MPP [contact details here]